Gold Coast Kokoda Challenge is back
Over 5000 individuals will flock to the Gold Coast Hinterland for the 14th Gold Coast Kokoda Challenge on July 14 to raise funds for local teenagers, unite in remembrance of our WW2 veterans and to conquer Australia’s toughest team endurance event.
There are family, friends, corporate and school teams, kids from the age of 12 to elderly participants over 50, elite athletes attempting to beat the record of 11 hours 50 minutes, people walking for their battle against cancer, for their ancestors who fought in WWII, for their desire to help local youth, bringing together the entire community.
“The stories, emotions and atmosphere of a Kokoda Challenge event is unlike anything else,” says Kev Davies, sixth time Kokoda Challenge participant.
The Kokoda Challenge has been dubbed Australia’s toughest team endurance bush walking event and is run annually on the Gold Coast, Brisbane and Melbourne, designed to keep the WW2 Kokoda spirit of Courage, Endurance, Mateship and Sacrifice alive. It is not a race, it’s about getting to the finish line as a solid team.
Teams go through some of Gold Coasts toughest terrain in 48km and 96km distance events, with a 33-hour limit on the 48km distance and 39-hour limit on the 96km, with the event closing 10pm Sunday 15th.
All event proceeds fund our Kokoda Challenge Youth Program, which has been running since 2004 and changing lives of 50+ local teens a year from all backgrounds and circumstances, from high achievers to those who are disengaged and at-risk. The 14-month program involves physical endurance, community service, team building and a funded trip to Papua New Guinea to complete the real Kokoda Track and volunteer in local villages. Starting in 2004, these kids are known as ‘Kokoda Kids’.
- Wild Skies takes flight at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary - December 14, 2018
- A New Era of Entertainment is born at Australian Outback Spectacular - December 12, 2018
- Finding grace through self-discovery and surfing - December 10, 2018
- Entries open for Gold Coast Marathon - December 8, 2018
- Christmas comes to Movie World - December 6, 2018
- Glamping comes to Cabarita Beach - December 5, 2018
- Sky Voyager is Preparing for Take-Off at Dreamworld - November 2, 2018
- Gold Coast voted Australia’s family-friendly capital - November 2, 2018
- Parkrun comes to the Gold Coast - October 13, 2018
- Virgin Australia adds Perth-Gold Coast service over Christmas - September 19, 2018