Gold Coast Marathon a sell out hit
The 40th Gold Coast Marathon has sold out for the first time in its history.
Tourism Industry Development Minister Kate Jones said the full-house sign for the signature race would see more than 6,500 runners compete and showed support for events on the Gold Coast continued following the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
“In 2017, the marathon delivered a $25 million boost to the Queensland economy with 24,902 people taking part across all event races,” Ms Jones said.
“Interest is at an all-time high for the 2018 edition of this internationally-recognised event in one of the world’s most popular holiday destinations.
“A big year for events in Queensland is continuing with thousands of international and interstate participants and spectators coming to the Gold Coast to celebrate 40 years of one of Australia’s most iconic races.
“With runners able to relive parts of the Commonwealth Games marathon course only months after the biggest events in Queensland’s history, it’s one not to be missed.”
Assistant Tourism Industry Development Minister and Gaven MP Meaghan Scanlon said the Commonwealth Games put the Gold Coast on the map as an international destination for major events.
“The fact that the marathon has sold out for the first time in it’s history is proof that the Commonwealth Games is driving more visitors than ever before to the Coast,” Ms Scanlon said.
“We’re working hard to make sure the Games continues to deliver a great legacy for Gold Coasters.”
Events Management Queensland CEO Cameron Hart said to have the 42km race reach capacity with still four weeks to go highlighted the event’s appeal to those taking on the personal challenge of the marathon.
“The fast, flat course, combined with our IAAF Gold Label designation and the attractiveness of running alongside our magnificent beaches and Broadwater have all contributed to reaching the race’s participation limit,” Mr Hart said.
“To achieve this in our 40th edition reaffirms our position as one of the world’s most desirable races for tens of thousands of participants from overseas, interstate and Queensland.”
The 40th annual Gold Coast Marathon will feature eight races including the Gold Coast Marathon, Wheelchair Marathon, ASICS Half Marathon, Wheelchair 15km, Southern Cross University 10km Run, Gold Coast Airport Fun Run, Garmin 4km Junior Dash and Garmin 2km Junior Dash.
The Gold Coast Marathon will be held from June 30 – July 1 and is organised by Events Management Queensland, a major event management company wholly owned by the Queensland Government as part of Tourism and Events Queensland.
- Wild Skies takes flight at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary - December 14, 2018
- A New Era of Entertainment is born at Australian Outback Spectacular - December 12, 2018
- Finding grace through self-discovery and surfing - December 10, 2018
- Entries open for Gold Coast Marathon - December 8, 2018
- Christmas comes to Movie World - December 6, 2018
- Glamping comes to Cabarita Beach - December 5, 2018
- Sky Voyager is Preparing for Take-Off at Dreamworld - November 2, 2018
- Gold Coast voted Australia’s family-friendly capital - November 2, 2018
- Parkrun comes to the Gold Coast - October 13, 2018
- Virgin Australia adds Perth-Gold Coast service over Christmas - September 19, 2018