Gold Coast voted Australia’s family-friendly capital
The Gold Coast has been named Australia’s ‘family-friendly capital’ for a third consecutive year, by Australia’s preeminent travel publication, Australian Traveller.
More than 5,000 people voted the Gold Coast the best family holiday destination as part of the magazine’s annual People’s Choice Awards.
Destination Gold Coast CEO Annaliese Battista said the accolade is a testament to the outstanding range of activities and accommodation for families on the Gold Coast.
“The Gold Coast has rightly retained its status as the must-visit destination for families by Australia’s best-selling travel magazine, and that is no easy feat,” said Ms Battista.
“Voting is based on verbatim and unsolicited responses.
“Last financial year, the Gold Coast attracted a combined 10.9 million domestic overnight visitors and day-trippers to the region.
“The Gold Coast is a world-class destination with outstanding tourism infrastructure that continues to evolve to meet the needs of modern families and travellers from all walks of life.”
The top domestic destinations were revealed in a special summer edition, with the Gold Coast edging out four other coastal destinations to take out top family honours.
Australian Traveller editorial director, Leigh-Ann Pow, said the Gold Coast is a one-stop holiday shop for those planning a family break.
“Having access to sand and water ticks the Aussie family holiday box, and when there is great food, entertainment and accommodation options in the mix, like on the Gold Coast, it’s perfect,” said Ms Pow.
“I think the Gold Coast holds a special place in the hearts of many Australians, as so many of us have wonderful childhood memories of holidaying there.”
The diverse tourism offering already a drawcard for families, is set to become a key focus as a new $2.5 million tourism campaign promoting the Gold Coast is set to debut in February.
Targeted at Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane markets, the family-friendly campaign will showcase a strong theme park offering to complement new and revitalised attractions opening this summer, at several Gold Coast theme parks.
Destination Gold Coast will lead the campaign in partnership with Village Roadshow Theme Parks, Ardent Leisure, and the Queensland Government via Tourism and Events Queensland.
- Wild Skies takes flight at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary - December 14, 2018
- A New Era of Entertainment is born at Australian Outback Spectacular - December 12, 2018
- Finding grace through self-discovery and surfing - December 10, 2018
- Entries open for Gold Coast Marathon - December 8, 2018
- Christmas comes to Movie World - December 6, 2018
- Glamping comes to Cabarita Beach - December 5, 2018
- Sky Voyager is Preparing for Take-Off at Dreamworld - November 2, 2018
- Gold Coast voted Australia’s family-friendly capital - November 2, 2018
- Parkrun comes to the Gold Coast - October 13, 2018
- Virgin Australia adds Perth-Gold Coast service over Christmas - September 19, 2018